[Chilliwack, BC] The second annual Barn Burner BBQ, co-presented by Johnston’s Pork and Fraser Valley Specialty Poultry is back Sunday, March 20 at the Farm Store, 4540 Simmons Rd to kick off the 2016 BBQ season.
This free-to-attend, family-friendly BBQ extravaganza is officially sanctioned by the Kansas City BBQ Society. Donations will be accepted upon entry for Envision Financial’s Full Cupboard, which benefits the Chilliwack care and share community food bank.
The competition will witness the battle of the BBQ in four main categories: Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Chicken, and Ribs. The winning team with the highest total points in all four categories will take home their share of $5000 in prize money, along with the Barn Burner BBQ Grand Championship trophy and bragging rights.
Teams will also compete in a “Black Box” cook-off. This “Iron Chef” style competition gives these BBQ competitors a chance to show off their more creative side. They will each be presented with a black box with four mystery ingredients. Those ingredients must be incorporated into a single dish and submitted to the judges, who will award points based on originality, taste and presentation. It is sure to be a very tasty battle.
Judges confirmed for the Black Box competition include:
- John Biehler, com
- Natalie Browne, Kitchen, Uncorked
- Dallas Carlson, ValleyBuzz
- Leona Clifford, Envision Financial
- Alyssa Dawson, Novus TV
- Andrew Etsell, Singletree Winery
- Maureen Frost, Hello Vancity
- Paul Henderson, Chilliwack Times
- Debbie King, GirlWhoWouldBeKing
- Don Lehn, Chilliwack Progress
- Mijune Pak, Follow Me Foodie
- Marc Smith, 30 Day Adventures
- Andrew Von Rosen, Town Hall Brands
Chef Dez, local celebrity and cookbook author, will be returning as the emcee, while meat lovers of all ages are invited to join the festivities including a live band performance, climbing wall, face-painting and free samples of delicious BBQ meat. If the samples don’t quite fill you up, Poomba’s Smokehouse Food Truck will be on site selling even more bbq.
Photo and interview opportunities available
To schedule an interview before or during the event, please contact Kathleen Beveridge at email@example.com or 604.999.1934.
Photos from the 2015 BarnBurner BBQ: http://bit.ly/20zL3Bc
- It’s back! @BarnBurner_BBQ returns to #Chilliwack March 20 with delicious BBQ samples & festivities for all ages
- Family-friendly event returns to #Chilliwack Mar 20. Save the date for the 2nd Annual @BarnBurner_BBQ
- Pit Masters are taking over #Chilliwack Mar 20 for the 2nd Annual @BarnBurner_BBQ. Come on out & try some delicious #bbq
Registration is still open for those looking to sink their teeth into the competition. Register at CanadaQ to reserve your spot. There is room for a limited number of trailers and RVs with advance notice. Electricity, hot water and washrooms on site.
Confirmed participating teams:
- Brown Chicken Brown Cow – Hayden, ID
- UPNSMOKIN BBQ House – Stevensville, MT
- SmellaQue – Calgary, AB
- Pigs n Heat – Surrey, BC
- Buzz Saw BBQ – Sumas, WA
- Wine Country Q – Duvall, WA
- Fat Wally’s Firehouse BBQ – Surrey, BC
- Helluva Q – Surrey, BC
- Hog Shack BBQ – Richmond, BC
- Rusty’s BBQ – Port Moody, BC
- Bush Kitchen – Redmond, WA
- The Smokin’ Grill Next Door – Surrey, BC
- The Serial Grillers – Yarrow, BC
- Lake House BBQ- Mill Creek, WA *2015 Reserve Champions*
- Stacked Racks– Surrey, BC
- War Pig – Arlington, WA
- Motley Que – Grand Prairie, AB
- Memphis Mike’s BBQ Mafia – Langley, BC
- Rocky Mountain Smokers – Calgary, AB
- Big Dog BBQ – Abbotsford, BC
- Prairie Smoke & Spice – Pilot Butte, Sask. *2015 Grand Champions*
Are you a certified BBQ judge through the Kansas City BBQ Society or another sanctioning BBQ body? You could join Kelly and Kathleen McIntosh, head judges, at the Barn Burner BBQ to help crown this year’s champion. 18 judges and 3 experienced table captains for each category are needed. To apply to judge email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking will be available near the event. There will be a free shuttle to take you from the parking lot to the event site.
BBQ is NOT grilling!!
A bit about BBQ:
There is a very distinct difference between the two. Just ask anyone that knows BBQ and they will tell you all about it.
Southern style BBQ is a technique in which meat is cooked at low temperatures (about 225 F) for a long time over indirect heat. The heat source is charcoal and wood. No gas/propane is allowed. The Barn Burner BBQ competition consists of four main categories: Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Chicken and Ribs. Brisket is cooked for 12 – 16 hours. Ribs take approx. 6 hours & chicken approx. 4 hours.
If you’d like to Sponsor the 2nd Annual Barn Burn BBQ see sponsorship opportunities here.
Join the following sponsors:
- Johnston’s Pork
- Fraser Valley Specialty Poultry
- Envision Financial with thanks to Branch Managers: Leona Clifford, Sarah Fisher, Ruth Maccan, and Shana Temple
- Greystone Promotional Products
- Grand Pappy’s Home Furniture and Appliances
- Big Green Egg
- Hi-Pro Feeds
- Pace Chemicals LTD.
About The Full Cupboard:
Established by Envision Financial, The Full Cupboard is an innovative community program designed to raise food, funds, and awareness for food banks in the communities where Envision Financial operates. Their goal is to raise 1 million dollars and 100,000 pounds of food by 2023. Since 2013 they’ve raised more than $340,000 and 30,000 pounds of food. Donations are accepted online or at any Envision Financial Branch location.
About Barn Burner:
The Second Annual Barn Burner BBQ competition brings together fiercely competitive BBQ Pitmasters from all over the Pacific Northwest, Alberta and Saskatchewan. They will gather in Chilliwack to showcase their BBQ skills and compete for the ultimate prize- the Grand Championship of the Barn Burner BBQ. This local event is fully sanctioned by the Kansas City BBQ Society and expects to attract thousands of BBQ lovers from the Lower Mainland. Visitors will experience a fun-filled day of tasting BBQ samples, family activities and live music. Learn more at barnburnerbbq.ca